5 Lunchtime Links: Dolly Parton announces tour

View Caption Hide Caption
ORG XMIT: NYOTK Dolly Parton speaks at The 22nd Annual Glaad Media Awards on Sunday April 10, 2011, at at The Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles, Calif. (AP Photo/Katy Winn) BC-MUS-DOLLYPARTON
ORG XMIT: NYOTK Dolly Parton speaks at The 22nd Annual Glaad Media Awards on Sunday April 10, 2011, at at The Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles, Calif. (AP Photo/Katy Winn) BC-MUS-DOLLYPARTON

Dolly Parton speaks at The 22nd Annual Glaad Media Awards on Sunday April 10, 2011, at at The Westin Bonaventure in Los Angeles, Calif. (AP Photo/Katy Winn)

1. Dolly Parton announces biggest tour in 25 years.

Dolly Parton is back in a big way. Our sweet country queen has announced what she’s called her biggest tour in 25 years, Entertainment Weekly reports, with over 60 stops throughout the U.S. and Canada. The tour will be accompanied by Parton’s new double-disc greatest hits album “Pure & Simple with Dolly Parton’s Biggest Hits,” which catalogs an array of songs the singer has produced during her decades-long career. While official tour dates and stops haven’t yet been announced, our fingers are crossed.

2. Bob Dylan announces summer tour to promote new album.

In his first North American tour since, well, less than a year ago, Bob Dylan has announced the scheduling for a 27-day trip promoting new album “Fallen Angels,” Rolling Stone reports. The tour will kick off June 4 in Washington and will end July 17th in New Hampshire. While those who buy tickets for the tour are promised a copy of “Fallen Angels,” the release date for which has yet to be announced, Dylan and his band won’t be making it all the way to Texas this time around.

3. It’s National Cereal Day!

Did you celebrate National Cereal Day this morning? If you’re a millennial there’s about a 60 percent chance you didn’t. According to an August 2015 study by research company Mintel, 40 percent of millennials don’t believe cereal is a convenient breakfast choice because of the bowl they’ll dirty eating it. The report found that many younger people prefer to eat breakfast on the go or skip breakfast completely. Smoothies, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt and, of course, breakfast tacos are the breakfast foods of choice for this generation. Millennials are instead more likely to have a bowl of cereal in between meals as a snack.

4. SNL parodies Trump ad.

Although GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump often serves as his own walking spoof, “Saturday Night Live” did not pass up the opportunity to use the business mogul’s recent failure to immediately reject an endorsement by former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke to slam him with a political ad parody, the American-Statesman’s Jackie Wang reports. The video shows many everyday Americans voicing the reasons they support Trump like “He’s authentic,” and “Trump’s an outsider; Washington needs that,” only to reveal (via a swastika armband and cleverly placed KKK memorabilia) that the message is brought to you by “Racists for Donald Trump.” You can watch the full skit here.

5. John Legend to play Axe and Spin party.

Just like last year, Grammy award-winning R&B star John Legend will play the Axe and Spin party during South by Southwest March 17, the American-Statesman’s Deborah Sengupta Stith reports. Legend is also involved in Axe’s music and film mentorship program, and will appear alongside five young musicians he has been working with through the program. If you’re in town for the festival and looking to work the party into your schedule, be sure to also check out our guide to the city.


View Comments 0