The State Fair of Texas has released the eight candidates up to win this year’s Big Tex Choice Awards, and the stakes look higher (and greasier) than ever.
In years past, everything from deep fried lattes to funnel cake ale to fried bubblegum have taken home prizes in the annual competition for Most Creative and Best Tasting caloric game-changer.
Take a look at the competition for 2015:
• Chicken Fried Lobster with Champagne Gravy — This white collar-esque creation adds a shot of Texas charm to a typically sophisticated dish.
• Cowboy Corn Crunch — A fried combination of sweet corn, jalapeño, cream cheese and bacon. Served in a cone, because why not.
• Deep Fried Alligator’s Egg Nest — Not made of actual alligator eggs, but served in a “nest” of french fries regardless.
• Fernie’s Holy Moly Carrot Cake Roly — A cannoli of carrot cake, cream cheese, cinnamon and graham cracker coating. Also included: two different types of caramel dipping sauces.
• Fried Beer-Battered Buffalo — Served with chipotle sauce and covered in bacon so you can have a side of meat with your meat.
• Lone Star Pork Handle — A bone-in pork chop battered in Lone Star Beer-flavored rub. The bone doubles as a convenient carrying handle for added mobility.
• Pretzel-Crusted Pollo Queso — Balls of savory Tex Mex served with jalapeño ranch.
• Smoky Bacon Margarita — Yeah, you read that right. Served in a souvenir cup so you can look back fondly on the experience of drinking bacon-flavored alcohol for years to come.
You can try all of these dishes, and many more (just take a look at the 2014 nominees to get an idea) starting in September. The 2015 State Fair of Texas will run from Sept. 25-Oct. 18. More information about the Big Tex Choice Awards can be found on the State Fair of Texas’ website.